Semester Retrospective Spring 2007 - Your Opinion Needed

We're all frantic about finishing the papers and preparing for finals. Here's your chance to slow down and reflect on what God has been doing this semester in your life.

Said at Southern is taking open nomination for our first ever “Semester Retrospective." Please leave your nominations in the comments. Multiple nominations are ok. We'll need everyone's help to get a decent run of comments on this - I'm even granting a temporary indulgence of the weird blogger word verification, so comments will be easier!

  1. Professor: Who was your favorite professor this semester? Only nominate professors you actually had this Semester.

  2. Chapel: What was your favorite SBTS chapel message this semester?

  3. Buzz: What created the loudest buzz this semester? This can be a theological topic or an event.

  4. Epiphany: What was your biggest “ah-ha” moment this semester? Did you learn something that will change your life or impact forever change your ministry?

  5. Classes: What was your most demanding & least demanding classes this semester?

  6. Books: What was your favorite book(s) you read this semester?

  7. In Sum: How would you characterize this semester for future students. Complete the sentence, “That was the semester that _____________________________.” I’m looking for campus wide significance here.
Don't miss the results - you can subscribe to our feed or get Said At Southern updates via email.

Comments are open. But first be sure to review our User Expectations.

- posted by Tony Kummer

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

# Professor: Who was your favorite professor this semester? Dr. Steve Wellum

# Chapel: What was your favorite SBTS chapel message this semester?

James Merritt preaching "Fire: God So Far" Isaiah 6:1-9

# Buzz: What created the loudest buzz this semester? John Piper's visit and the Piper-groupies clamoring for chapel seats to see/hear him preach.

# Epiphany: What was your biggest “ah-ha” moment this semester? Did you learn something that will change your life or impact forever change your ministry?

Yet more reinforcement of the growing realization that "church" is not the "church system."

# Classes: What was your most demanding & least demanding classes this semester?

All equal in demands. But I have gotten most of my work done early, thereby alleviating the deadline pressures.

# Books: What was your favorite book(s) you read this semester?

I got the ESV. And I am NOT a translation of the month club member. It's got my recommendation. Textbook: "The Cross of Christ" by John Stott. I don't think I could get tired reading him.

# In Sum: How would you characterize this semester for future students. Complete the sentence, “That was the semester that _____________________________.” I’m looking for campus wide significance here.

"That was the semester that___..."

...brought me back into family life. I lived my faith with my family. I laughed, cried, sang, prayed, and enjoyed life with my wife and children. Studies became significant again because of that. Drudgery was significantly reduced and the drawing close to God was awesomely enhanced.

Tony Kummer said...

Scott, thanks for breaking the ice.

Our site rules require all bloggers list their real name or have it clearly displayed on their own blog.

FYI: I can't find yours on your blog so include it next time you post.

Tony Kummer said...

Professor: Dr. Stuart Scott

Chapel: Piper on Tuesday "we work with you for your joy"

Buzz: Piper, Soulforce

Epiphany: Biblical counseling is the oversight of souls - it is as intrinsic to pastoral ministry as preaching.

Classes: Biblical counseling=most, NT 2=least

Books: Paul Trip, Instruments in the Redeemers Hands

In Sum: This was the semester that John Piper preached at Southern.

Timmy Brister said...

Professor:
Dr. Nettles

(I'm going into depression now . . .)

Chapel:
This should be easy because I went to two. The first John Piper.

Buzz:
My blog being called out by Dr. Mohler in chapel. I got calls and emails for three weeks after that.

Epiphany:
Reading about Boyce and the founding of SBTS gave me a deep and profound apprecation for the sacrifices and hardships endured to make it possible for me to attend here. While Boyce's legacy could have been expressed in his scholarship and theological astuteness, he rather spent the majority of his time contending for SBTS--where his legacy lives on in the alumni who have reaped from the fruit of his labors.

Most Demanding Class: Advanced Greek Grammar

Least Demanding Class:
They were no easy classes this semester, so it wouldn't be fair to call label one "least demanding."

Favorite Book:
No Place for Truth by David Wells

Summary:
This was the semester that gave me a better understanding of my roots both theologically and ecclesiologically as a Southern Baptist and an evangelical.

Danny Slavich said...

Professor: Wellum.

Chapel: n/a. Listened to Piper online.

Buzz: Piper.

Epiphany: The combined reading for Intro to Biblical Counseling gave me a lot of insight into my own heart. I think my view of sanctification and Christian growth was extremely deficient.

Classes: Honestly, my load was pretty light. Intro to B.C., NT II, ST III. Pretty equal.

Books: Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands.

In Sum: This was the semester when I was engaged. One less single seminary male to try to make awkward conversation with single seminary/Boyce girls in Founder's cafe.

Tony Kummer said...

(Scott emailed me and updated his blog to comply.)

Scott,
Thanks again.

Unknown said...

Prof: Wellum

Chapel: James MacDonald brought it from 2 Tim 4.

Buzz: Piper, but people skipping out of class to get a good seat was unfortunate.

Ephiphany: Wellum's exposition of Hebrews 7 concerning Christ as priest of a different order.

Classes: Pretty much all of equal weight.

Books: Frame's Doctrine of God is magnificent. Hoekema's theology series is excellent as well.

Sum: Much like Timmy, this is the semester that I fully realized that a Baptist ecclesiology is the only biblically consistent and biblically accurate view of God's people in the new covenant.